Sculpture of the Ideal Female Body

For my finale in Doubles and Doppelgangers, I decided to make the ideal version of the female body. I was drawn to the idea of societal standards and women creating an internal double because of it. I made this sculpture with fork tips rather than the whole fork. I did this because on the outside it looks like the perfect body shape made of plastic. The fork tips represent eating disorders and other mental health issues that can develop from societal standards. That person may be the only one who knows of the struggles they deal with. This internal double of secrets are made to keep up the image of perfection the outside. So many woman deal with this issue and never talk about how hard they try to be the ideal. It affects so many, even myself, to the point of destruction from within. Not only does this sculpture represent any women whose felt societal pressure and its effects, but it's also a reflection of myself. Having dealt with a variety of eating disorders growing up, I know what's it's like to receive compliments of my appearance while on the inside I was deeply out of control. I went from bingeing for years and then completely not eating the next in college. This sculpture is not real just like our ideal version we made as a society. This plastic barbie version can only exist with mental health problems while never being able to obtain it.

Comments

Popular Posts